Kenworth Truck Company, a division of PACCAR Inc, is a leading manufacturer of heavy and medium duty trucks. The company maintains its headquarters in Kirkland, Washington and operates manufacturing plants in Chillicothe, Ohio; Ste-Therese, Quebec; and Seattle and Renton, Washington.
Founded in 1923, Kenworth has an extensive dealer network of more than 290 dealer locations in the United States and Canada. This dealer network provided parts, service and body shop support for customers under the Kenworth PremierCare® Parts and Service. To help assist customers, the Kenworth PremierCare Roadside Assistance Center at 1-800-KW ASSIST (1-800-592-7747) operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
On The Map—1923.
The early 1900s brought dramatic change to the Northwest as Model Ts began challenging the horse and carriage in the transportation race. It was during this time that Seattle businessman Edgar Worthington was managing his mother's building, occupied by a car and truck dealership. Edgar took a special interest in his tenant, the Gerlinger Motor Car Company, watching as they worked to sell and repair cars and trucks. He never imagined that someday the company would be his.
For many years, Edgar looked on as the dealership went through growing pains. business was slow in this era of change, as Gerlinger mechanic Ed Hahn recalled:
"In those days there were so few trucks and cars, and there was no union, so as a mechanic, you had to stand around the garage—or in this case, the repair shop—and wait for work to come in. Sometimes you made five dollars a week and sometimes you didn't hardly make your board; then you'd have to leave and go do other work—sawmill work or something else. So we started building that first truck to keep help around."
That first truck, unveiled in 1915, was called the Gersix, a six-cylinder vehicle which was framed in structural steel, making it ideal for the rugged Northwest. According to Hahn:
"It took us nearly a year to complete. There were just two of us as mechanics, and as soon as something came in, we'd drop it and go overhaul a man's truck or reline some brakes. As soon as we finished all that, we'd go back to working on the first truck again—sometimes nothing would come in and we'd work all day on it."
Edgar's tenant was doing quite well, or so it seemed, and the Gersix became a popular fixture in the Northwest. However, the company, which had offices in Seattle and Portland, was struggling and in 1917, was offered for sale. Edgar jumped at the opportunity. Together with his partner Captain Frederick Kent, he acquired the company and renamed it the Gersix Motor Company.
In 1919, Frederick Kent retired from the business and his son, Harry Kent became Edgar's new partner. As the company grew, so did its need for capital. Although sales were strong for the Gersix—53 trucks were sold in 1922—they decided to reincorporate, capitalizing on a $60,000 infusion of cash. In 1923, the transaction was completed, and it marked the beginning of a new era. The company became Ken-Worth, named after the two principal stockholders Harry Kent and Edgar Worthington. The Kenworth Motor Truck Company was born, and headquarters were established in Seattle.
Custom Trucks, A Kenworth Tradition—1924-1926.
In 1924, Kenworth sold 80 trucks and production a year later neared two trucks per week. Even in those early years, Kenworth was dedicated to the custom truck. Under the guidance of Vernon Smith, a master salesman responsible for building sales in the region, the custom truck became the hallmark for Kenworth. Kenworth's John Cannon recalled:
"It wasn't falling into an idea or creating something, it was simply because Vernon Smith would go out and sell some trucks with this or that specification, and then he'd come back to the plant and say, 'Here, I have the sale, now we have to build them.' So, it came not as a designed thing, but more or less as the state-of-the-market at the time. Everybody else was building standard stuff, and we were building anything that Vernon could get an order for."
Rapid Growth Greets New President—1927-1929.
Production jumped to three trucks per week in 1927. As the company's production began to increase, so did its marketing prowess. Kenworth began manufacturing trucks in Canada, eliminating expensive duty charges, which made Kenworths more affordable in Canada.
1929 marked the start of a new era as E. K. Worthington was succeeded by Harry Kent as president. As the company continued to experience steady growth, lack of space became a major problem. That problem was soon remedied with the opening of a new Seattle factory; a factory which positioned them for future growth.
Depression Years Hit Kenworth—1930-1932.
The Great Depression put the brakes on Kenworth's outstanding growth of the late 1920s. Production was down and complicating matters even more was the large number of defaults on loans.
Even with the depression and an uncertain future, Kenworth stayed aggressive in its marketing and found new opportunities. They began production of fire trucks in 1932, catering to the special requirements each fire chief seemed to have. Kenworth's Murray Aitken recalled:
"Every fire chief felt that he was the world's leading designer of fire trucks, and he wanted some of his ideas incorporated into the fire trucks. As a result, there was a market that Kenworth could satisfy that some of the other manufacturers weren't able to comply with."
The Country's First Diesel Truck—1933-1936.
Good fortune came to Kenworth in 1933 when it became the first American truck manufacturer to install diesel engines as standard equipment. It was a major development that allowed Kenworth to develop a powerful and durable line of diesel trucks.
The new trucks proved to be a big hit with customers, who also reaped the benefit of fuel savings—diesel was a mere third the price of gasoline.
However, diesel engines were not the only advancement Kenworth made in 1933. The company also sold its first sleeper cab to Central Grocery, in Yakima, Washington.
The year 1935 marked a challenge for Kenworth with the passage of the Motor Carrier Act. New regulations meant stiffer weight and size restrictions, prompting Kenworth engineers to develop aluminum components. Kenworth trucks began to sport aluminum hubs and cabs. Kenworth trucks also featured six-wheel drive, hydraulic brakes, four-spring suspension, and rear axle torsion bar suspension.
In 1936, the "bubble-nose," Kenworth's entry into the cab-over-engine (COE) truck market, was unveiled. These trucks proved extremely efficient and were able to carry a maximum amount of cargo in a minimal overall length.
In 1937, Phil Johnson became president of Kenworth, replacing Harry Kent who had died suddenly of a heart attack. Production continued to rise, and 1940 saw 226 Kenworth trucks leave the factory.
Kenworth Supports War Effort—1941-1944.
The United States, caught off guard by the bombing of Pearl Harbor, quickly prepared for war. One month after the attack, Kenworth joined the war effort and began production of 430, four-ton, heavy-duty M-1 "Wreckers." An additional 1500 were ordered by the end of the year. These six-wheel-drive vehicles were equipped with powerful cranes, fore and aft winches, cutting and welding equipment, and special floodlights. Sergeant Cpt. Christofferson of the 780th Amphibious Tank Battalion recalled:
"The real test came in actual combat when, after 40 days at sea, they were put aground in the Philippine Islands on "A Day," October 20, 1944. Day after day through sticky mud which covered to the top of the wheels, our Kenworths toiled, recovering tanks from shell holes under Japanese mortar fire, keeping traffic moving along almost impossible roads, and fording rivers with water around the driver's feet..."
To handle the dramatic increase in production, Kenworth streamlined the factory and created a moving production line.
The year 1943 saw even more activity for Kenworth in support of the war. The company began producing components for the Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress" bomber and the B-29 "Super Fortress" at its Seattle plant. Since Seattle was declared a "critical labor area," the Government required Kenworth to move its M-1 Wrecker production inland, in order to retain its contracts. Kenworth obliged and set up an additional "factory" in Central Washington, at the Yakima fairgrounds.
Pacific Car and Foundry (PACCAR) Buys Kenworth—1944.
When company president Phil Johnson died in 1944, the widows of Johnson, Kent and Frederick Fisher (former company director) were left with controlling interest in the company. They decided to offer their shares to Kenworth employees. Financing for the transaction never materialized, however, and Paul Pigott, president of Pacific Car and Foundry, began negotiating with the widows.
A deal was struck, and Kenworth became a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacific Car and Foundry.
On A Roll—1945.
With war production winding down, Kenworth still managed to produce 427 commercial vehicles and 484 military units in 1945.
During this time, Hawaiian plantations became large Kenworth customers, ordering specially designed trucks to transport sugar cane. Overall, 1946 proved to be a banner year with the completion of 705 trucks—a peacetime record. In an effort to consolidate its business, Kenworth brought all manufacturing back to Seattle and opened a new facility.
By 1950, Kenworth's distribution had grown to 27 locations outside the contiguous United States, and foreign sales accounted for 40 percent of total sales.
Still dedicated to custom trucks, Kenworth had more than 30 different models operating in almost every state west of the Mississippi.
Unconventional Trucks Drive Sales—1951-1955.
The year 1951 marked the time when Kenworth "struck oil." The company designed the Model 853 for the Arabian American Oil Co. (ARAMCO). The truck was so successful that eventually 1,700 were ordered. Everywhere you looked, Kenworths were at oil sites, playing a major role in the development of the Middle Eastern oil reserves.
While the 853 was moving over sand in the desert, Kenworth developed the Model 801, which was designed to move earth in America. The 11.0 cubic yard capacity vehicles proved to be rugged and powerful.
By 1952, trucks were hauling 16 percent of all land-moved freight, an indication of steady growth and increased competition with the railroads.
Further expansion into Canada occurred in 1955 when production began in Burnaby, British Columbia. Canadian Kenworth Limited was formed, a wholly owned subsidiary of Pacific Car and Foundry.
During the same year, Kenworth launched a radical new line of trucks which featured the cab beside the engine. The new design was an instant hit. Its lighter weight allowed an additional half ton of cargo. In addition, the new truck provided driver visibility far greater than any other truck on the road.
Kenworth "Division" Welcomes New Trucks—1956-1958.
Kenworth's existence as an independent corporation ended in 1956 when Pacific Car and Foundry dissolved the independent charter. Kenworth officially became Kenworth Motor Truck Company, a division of Pacific Car and Foundry. Kenworth's custom philosophy and dedication to quality remained intact.
Hot on the heels of the reorganization came the announcement of the new Model 900 series. This new truck featured a new frame design with dropped front section, which shortened and lightened the chassis.
A fleet of 923s were used in a quest for oil in the northern Yukon Valley. More than 3,000 tons of equipment and supplies were required to get to the site traveling over 385 miles of ice and tundra.
When construction was complete (path bulldozed) "White Pass and Yukon Route" Kenworths took over. Powered by Cummins NH 200 diesels with compression brakes, they worked around the clock, never shutting off the engines in the subzero cold, which often reached minus 60 degrees. Low temperatures had no noticeable effect on performance, and no major engine breakdown occurred during the entire construction and freight operation. And they did work hard. The collapse of fresh surface glacial ice would sometimes drop the tractor into ice and water four feet deep. The application of power under those conditions was extremely hard on the running gear and powertrain. Glaciers also played havoc with bumpers and fiberglass fenders. An assessment of performance revealed that the only major problems were broken springs and dirty fuel filters (due to refueling from 46-gallon drums).
The following year, 1957, Kenworth delivered a full-tilt COE cab, which enabled the engine and transmission to be easily serviced. This marked an important step in Kenworth's goal of complete serviceability for its products.
Kenworth Builds Plants and Offers Two New Models—1959-1965.
Expansion in 1959 came once again to Kenworth, this time south of the border. With new Mexican regulations overseeing imports, production facilities were built to handle the large post-war Mexican market.
In 1961, two new models were introduced by Kenworth: the W900 conventional (W for Worthington) which provided larger cabs and a redesigned instrument panel; and the K100 (K for Kent) cabover which was designed for maximizing cargo within the overall length restrictions imposed by eastern state regulations.
The new trucks became very popular, making production expansion capabilities imperative. In 1964, a new plant was developed and opened in Kansas City, Missouri. By the end of the year, the company produced 2,037 trucks, a new Kenworth record.
By 1966, there were 46 domestic dealers selling Kenworth trucks throughout the country. Combined with international sales, Kenworth sold over 3,900 trucks during the year, a new high.
With this increase, Kenworth realized the need to reorganize its record storage and retrieval system. In 1967, with "custom" chassis records taking up more and more space, Kenworth developed a system using microfilm—a decision which dramatically helped the dealers' record keeping.
Once again, tariffs played a role in Kenworth's decision to expand. Kenworth opened a plant in Melbourne, Australia, in 1968. Within two years they were producing right-hand drive conventionals and COEs for the Australian market.
The 50th Anniversary of Kenworth in 1972 marked the first year in which the company hit the five-digit sales mark. To commemorate the year, Kenworths featured gold-background hood ornaments (Kenworth Bug), replacing the normal polished aluminum ornament.
Chillicothe, Ohio was the location of Kenworth's next expansion, bringing its production capability to 16,000 trucks in 1974.
Toward the Future—1976.
Kenworth celebrated the Bicentennial in grand fashion when it introduced the VIT (Very Important Trucker) Series. Both the W900 conventional and K100 cabover featured plenty of standing room, luxurious double beds, clothes closets, refrigerators and hot plates. To recognize the Bicentennial, each truck bore the name of a different state, making the trucks a limited edition and in subsequent years, collectors' items.
However, not only did Kenworth bring luxury to over-the-road, it also brought added durability and reliability to tundra transportation. The Arctic Transporter (ATX) featured six-axle steering using torsion bar suspension, making it ideal for the fragile environment encountered in Prudhoe Bay and the Alaska tundra.
One of the biggest challenges for a Kenworth came in 1979 when a W900 was selected to transport a "High Resolution Spectrometer Magnet," which could produce a magnetic field 36,000 times stronger than the earth's. Special one-time permits were granted allowing the 140-foot-long load, weighing some 107 tons and measuring 18-1/2 feet in diameter and 13-1/2 feet in height, to be transported from Illinois to Palo Alto, California. The custom-built Kenworth featured a CAT 3408 PCTA diesel rated at 450 horsepower and Spicer 24-speed transmission. A specially constructed convertible trailer was built featuring adjustable axles and optional steering in the rear.
Once the trip was underway, there were lots of stops to accommodate TV and radio interviews. The biggest stop almost happened while climbing the 8,640-foot Laramie Summit as 60-mile-an-hour winds ripped through the area. Stan Jones, driver of the Kenworth recalled:
"You're squinting into a blizzard, shifting with both hands, steering with both knees, pulling a 110-wheel trailer with more angles and dangles than the Golden Gate Bridge. Then you begin to feel ice on the road. That's when you thank the man upstairs that you're driving a Kenworth."
The Kenworth and magnet arrived in Palo Alto, fully intact, 19 days after it left Illinois.
The Talk of the Industry—1985-1987.
In 1985, Kenworth rolled out a truck which changed the industry forever. Called the T600A, the truck was a sloped-nose conventional with a set-back front axle—a combination which gave drivers the comfort of a conventional and the maneuverability of a cabover.
Not only was the T600A sleek looking, it was also incredibly aerodynamic. The T600A cut through the wind like no other truck before, saving customers up to 22 percent on their fuel bills. Testing showed an aerodynamic improvement of 40 percent when compared to the company's W900 conventional.
Larry Orr, then Kenworth chief engineer recalled:
"When we were developing the T600A, we decided to incorporate everything we could come up with to reduce drag. As it evolved, we managed to do that, but we were a bit concerned about its appearance. It didn't look like our traditional long-nose conventional."
"Radical" styling proved to be no obstacle, however. The truck became widely accepted throughout the industry. Today, it has become the company's all-time leading seller.
Engineering prowess paid off again in 1986 when Kenworth launched the T800, a truck with a set-back front axle for maximum payload and maneuverability, geared for more heavy-duty operations and suitable for on/off highway applications.
Broader Product Line, More Fuel Efficient Trucks Introduced—1988-1990.
Kenworth unveiled the C500B construction truck during the first part of 1988—a truck that combined the rugged durability of its predecessor, the C510, with the looks and cab comforts of Kenworth's T800. In addition, the Spring of 1988 saw the company unveil the T400A, a tractor designed especially for the regional-haul marketplace. Further solidifying Kenworth's commitment to product advancement was the 1989 first quarter introduction of the Kenworth T450 construction truck with a 112" BBC, as well as the company's second generation T600A.
The new T600A offered improved fuel economy over the original T600A, and a 1990 cross-country fuel economy run, "Tour America," provided customers with "real-life" fuel economy numbers. Three different T600s were used, each equipped with different sized engines. The results were impressive: using a Cummins L10, 330 HP engine: 8.21 mpg; Cummins N14, 370 HP engine: 7.99 mpg; Cummins N14, 460 HP engine: 7.68 mpg. "We used routes our customers typically used and faced the same obstacles that occur in everyday driving—poor weather, road construction, traffic jams, and steep grades," recalled Gary Moore, then Kenworth general manager. "In fact, 30 percent of the terrain we covered consisted of either hills or mountains."
"During the overall trip, we ran into just about everything that a driver would encounter during a year's worth of driving," said Kenworth's Gary Ziebell, one of the drivers during the tour. "There wasn't one segment where a driver could say this wasn't real world—because it absolutely was."
In 1990, Kenworth also brought to market the W900L, a 130" BBC, long-nose conventional with extended hood. It soon became one of Kenworth's most popular models with owner operators.
Meeting Difficult Challenges—1990-1991.
The fall of 1991 saw still more Kenworth innovation. The T884 was introduced offering customers dual steering. By utilizing two steering axles (front and rear) the new truck could make sharp turns—better than most conventional trucks. And, with all-wheel drive, the truck could go over difficult terrain better than any other truck in Kenworth's history. Targeted toward off-road applications, the T884 found customers primarily in the mining and construction industries.
That same season, Kenworth also accepted a most unique transportation challenge—the moving of a rare SR71 Blackbird spy plane. Kenworth, along with long-time customer Schmitt Lowbed Services (Redding, California), handled the move. The Blackbird measured 98 feet in length by 23 feet in width.
Seattle's Museum of Flight contacted Kenworth asking for help in getting the giant plane to the museum from its hanger in the Mojave Desert. The question: Was it feasible—even legal—to haul the Blackbird back to Seattle? Legal, yes. Difficult? Exceedingly. A normal freeway traffic lane is 12 feet wide, meaning the Blackbird would take nearly two lanes of traffic. Variances from states were required for anything over 8-1/2 feet in width or 80,000 pounds in weight. In many cases, the Kenworth team knew traffic would have to be shut down in both directions to allow the Blackbird to move up I-5 and other roadways. But it could be done.
Five Kenworth trucks were required for the job. A Kenworth T800 with Caterpillar 460 horsepower engine and a specially-made 73-foot Trail King trailer transported the fuselage. Four Kenworth T600As handled the engines and wing sections. Twelve days after loading, the Kenworths and Blackbird arrived at the Museum of Flight, where the Blackbird is now the museum's star attraction.
The Driver is King—1992.
More than 500 over-the-road drivers joined the Kenworth team in 1992. Called the Kenworth Drivers' Board, drivers from across North America contribute time as "consultants" to provide input to Kenworth's next generation of trucks. Focus groups are conducted at trade shows, and surveys go out to Board Members on a regular basis to gain feedback on a variety of truck topics.
In June, the company announced the availability of its new K300, Class 7 cabover. The K300 also represented a change in Kenworth's manufacturing, as Class 7 production moved from Brazil to Ste. Therese, Quebec, giving the company the ability to better handle truck customization, and parts and service.
One month later, Kenworth introduced its B-Series of trucks, which provided improved driver amenities, plus a "Quiet Cab" package and new cab/sleeper suspension. "Our new noise reduction package and cab/sleeper suspension pay big comfort dividends to drivers," said Gary Moore, Kenworth's general manager and PACCAR's senior vice president. "Now our truck cabs are as quiet inside as many passenger cars. Plus, our new cab/sleeper suspension helps reduce road vibrations in the sleeper compartment. We think we have created an optimum driving environment which is unmatched by any other truck manufacturer."
At the same press conference, Kenworth and Chevron introduced the industry's largest privately funded safety program, called, "Sharing the Road." More than 6 million brochures, offering driving tips to motorists from a trucker's perspective, were provided at Chevron stations throughout the country. The program was widely endorsed by trade publications.
Kenworth's 70th Anniversary Marked by New Plant Opening and Two Significant Product Offerings—1993.
A new production plant was unveiled in Renton, Washington, with opening ceremonies conducted on June 4. The first truck off the assembly line was a T600B, destined for Stevens Transport, located in Dallas, Texas.
The Renton plant joins two others in the United States—Seattle, Washington, and Chillicothe, Ohio. The new Kenworth-Renton plant clearly demonstrates Kenworth's strategy to expand its leadership presence in the trucking industry.
Just a month after the plant introduction, Kenworth unveiled a new truck designed to keep Kenworth plants busy—the T600 AeroCab. The AeroCab was Kenworth's first truck to combine an integrated design with modular construction, offering drivers more stand-up room, improved storage space and many new driver amenities. It also represented the first truck designed in part by Kenworth's Drivers' Board. With the contoured cab roof, integrated side panels, and re-designed chassis fairings, air flow is improved, which reduces drag by an additional 3 percent as compared to Kenworth's T600B. The added gain in aerodynamics can mean hundreds of dollars in fuel savings per year.
During the same press conference at the International Trucking Show, Kenworth and Chevron introduced Phase 2 of their safety and image campaign—the Trucker Buddy program. Founded by Gary King, a Kenworth Drivers' Board Member, and his wife Carol, the program matches truck drivers with classrooms in a pen-pal arrangement. The program would go on to win the Truck Writers of North America's most significant new service award, at the 1994 Mid-America Trucking Show.
In October, Kenworth again broke new ground, this time introducing the largest and most luxurious OEM sleeper ever offered in the trucking industry—the Studio Sleeper. The 74-inch sleeper creates an apartment-like environment, thanks in part to a couch which doubles as a bed—something never before seen on an OEM sleeper. Along with the new couch comes 30 percent more storage capacity versus Kenworth's 60-inch AERODYNE. Two full-length closets with doors are standard, plus a driver's side drawer unit—with one deep compartment, one shallow—provides ample room for clothes. Shelves are also available to store a variety of items. A fold-down table (16-inch by 22-inch) was added to the sleeper which provides work space for the driver, plus a place to eat meals. In addition, a built-in TV installation package provides easy set up for drivers wanting an entertainment system on the road.
New Truck Additions Continue—1994.
On the heels of two significant product offerings in 1993, Kenworth again made news in the first quarter of 1994 with the introduction of its first ever medium-duty conventional—the T300. Designed for the premium end of the market, the T300 features a modified T600 cab, plus has all the durability common in all Kenworths. "We developed the T300 over the past several years with one mission in mind," recalled Paul Skoog, Kenworth's marketing manager. "And that was bringing to market a new standard in Class 7 quality." The T300 truck has a standard 30,000 GVW rating (with higher axle ratings available), and the tractor has a 65,000-pound GCVW rating. The T300 has features such as huckbolt fasteners for long-lasting and cost-effective operation, plus it's custom-engineered to match specific applications in the medium-duty market. To help make maintenance easier and less expensive, the T300 was designed using readily available components.
At the International Trucking Show, Kenworth continued its AeroCab evolution by taking the AeroCab across its main product line. A new 62-inch AeroCab, which is expected to be very popular with fleets, provides a weight and cost savings over the 72-inch model and provides the large sleeper opening and cab/sleeper air suspension that has become so popular on the AeroCab. Kenworth also addressed the flat-bed and bulk-hauler market by introducing a 62-inch and 72-inch FlatTop AeroCab. However, unlike other flat-top sleepers, the AeroCab sleepers were designed to allow a 6'-1" person to stand straight up. In addition, it was announced that the entire lineup of AeroCabs are now available on Kenworth's T800.
DOT Honors Kenworth; Two Dealers Celebrate Golden Anniversaries—1995.
In 1995, two of the three oldest Kenworth dealerships in North America reached the 50-year milestone—Williams Equipment of Spokane, Washington and Kenworth Sales Company of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Both dealerships were established at the close of World War II and founded as family businesses. Today, both continue to operate as family-run operations and have expanded beyond their local markets to include branches in Idaho, Nevada and Montana.
While Kenworth dealers were celebrating, so was Kenworth as the company was recognized with the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Award for the Advancement of Motor Vehicle Research and Development. The award was presented to Kenworth for its T600A tractor, originally introduced in 1985, primarily for its contribution in the areas of fuel efficiency and safety.
The Future of Trucking Arrives—1996.
1996 started off quickly in new product development for Kenworth.
The biggest news from Kenworth came in May 1996 as the all new T2000 was unveiled to the public at the International Trucking Show. The truck was shown in 112 and 120-inch BBC configurations with 75-inch AERODYNE sleepers. The T2000 represents nearly 20 years of work in aerodynamics by Kenworth engineers and it sets new standards in comfort, performance, and reliability. It was also designed to reduce life-cycle costs and downtime for the owner.
The T2000 is totally new from the ground up. In the design process, Kenworth kept in mind that the person buying the T2000 was not the driver, the mechanic or the owner; it was a combination of all three. Goals were set to be ‘best-in-class’ in all the key areas.
While the T2000 was groundbreaking, so was Kenworth’s premium component package which comes with a three-year, 350,000-mile basic vehicle warranty. The premium option package requires less maintenance, allowing operators to extend service to every 25,000 miles, versus the industry norms of every 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
The Extended Service Interval (ESI) program, which is possible thanks to the upgraded system and component option, helps set Kenworth apart from others when it comes to reducing maintenance costs for its customers. The technology is here to confidently stay on the road longer without fear of maintenance-related breakdowns or reduced total vehicle life.
The company’s commitment to product advancement and customer service through its dealers will continue as we near the year 2000. Input from drivers and fleets also will continue, enabling the company to have a better understanding of customer needs, resulting in products to meet their specific requirements. Kenworth’s heritage is quality. It’s something Kenworth customers have come to depend on; something Kenworth will continue to deliver.
Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.